DIY: Patterned Heart Tights

Okay, I'll admit, I'm a little smug about this project. I love how it turned out! Plus it's inexpensive and cheap, my favorite kind of project. Read more to see how to make your own patterned tights.

Supplies: tights, acrylic paint, fabric medium, sponge paintbrush, heart punch, adhesive vinyl or contact paper.
Step 1: Punch out a LOT of hearts (or any other shape) from a piece of adhesive vinyl or contact paper. I punched out a little more than 50 hearts from a couple of vinyl scraps.
Step 2: Cut around each heart 'negative' (aka not the actual punched heart, but the hole it leaves behind). Be sure to leave a lot of space around each punch. This makes it tons easier to stay in the lines when painting.
Step 3: Place your cut outs on your tights in whatever pattern you'd like. I think my alternating pattern turned out pretty well.
Step 4: At some point, insert paper strips into your tights to keep the paint from bleeding through to the other side.
Step 5: Apply your paint + fabric medium mixture (follow the directions on the fabric medium bottle) in a dabbing motion. I did about three coats. This step doesn't take much time at all!
Step 6: Wait for the front of your tights to dry, flip over and repeat all the steps for the back of your tights.
Voila! So easy and cute. I have to be honest though, I'm a little hesitant to wear these to work. I'm the youngest employee in my department and I frequently get called, "cute" and told, "you look like a doll." Ugh. Maybe no heart tights at work?
FYI - these tights are from the $5 tight section at Target. Surprisingly good quality!

Also, I know you're wondering if the hearts stretch too much when you put the tights on. Actually, there is only one heart on my upper thigh that looks like a pancake. All the others are intact, ha!

esther October 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

These are so cute! I've been wanting to stencil my tights – I have a couple pairs of really bright-colored ones that could use some sprucing up. Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

And quick Q : at what step did you use the fabric medium?

Erica October 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

These are adorable! Gosh, the possibilities. So many shapes to choose from!

Katie (Lemon Jitters) October 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Great question, Esther! I just added the fabric medium to step 5. I mixed it with my paint before applying to the tights.

nancy @ adore to adorn October 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

These are so precious. I love how easy they are to make! =)
xo,
nancy

dusanabotswana October 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM

oh my goodness you did an AMAZING job on these! they are so adorable and just perfect! I'd totally commission you to turn all my tights into these if i wouldn't get funny looks at work w/ only heart tights haha. I'm lovin that casual cute outfit & those slipons too!

dusanabotswana October 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

and i LOVE that you picked a place w/ a bunch of fallen leaves, great photography!

Rachel October 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

You deserve to feel smug about how these turned out, because they're really adorable! I can't wait to make a pair :-)

Thanks so much for sharing the DIY!

shellyrhds October 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Believe me, at 38 you will miss those comments! Take them now, and wear what you like.. they only mean well, and heck, isn't it a good thing to be cute and look like a doll? I think so! As long as you're intelligent, competent, and a good employee, I don't think adorable tights will be a problem! You dislike those comments now, but believe me, you will wish you had lived it up a little better while you were younger! Great tutorial and I plan on dolling up some tights for myself, perhaps not with hearts though, because even if I still have a baby face, I just don't think I could pull that off without people whispering about my sanity behind my back, hahaha :)

daria October 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

these look so cute! need I say that I have a cat shaped puncher that I could use? :)

Anonymous,  October 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

These are super cute. Forever in love with pretty tights so these are perfect! Definitely trying this!

Rhiannon October 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Such a cute idea! Will be definitely giving these a try x

Siubhan Mc Carthy November 2, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Wow ! Just popped by from the Love & Laundry party & I have to say those tights are AMAZING !! (your photos are great too btw)Im offf to make a starry pair of these for my daughters Christmas stocking !! S x

Erica November 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Just a quick question. Do the painted hearts hold up well in the wash?

momphotographer November 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

this is so cool! what a fun project and I love the pattern!

Katie (Lemon Jitters) November 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Erica, I've washed these now and they held up fine! The fabric medium helps with that.

Erica November 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hey, thanks for letting me know how they held up Katie! :)

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs November 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

These are SO cute!! Ive totally been into pattern tights, so what a FUN and brilliant idea to make my own! Thanks so much for sharing!!

~Maria-Isabel
www.agapelovedesigns.com

hilde February 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

absolutely love this! have to try it!

Ren Getsu February 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Wow! That looks fun! I never knew you could do that! Cool! How long does it last?

Amber Aeros February 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Oh gosh this is BRILLIANT. I'm totally going to try this out. Thanks for the great tips~~

kass,  February 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM

So cute! Love this! I would press glitter on top of the wet paint so they are glittery. I love glitter. And I love this project. Tooootally doing it. Thanks!

Vanessa October 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM

These are adorable! The tights look so cozy! :)

Molly McPickery December 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Great idea the weather is getting colder and I want new tights but the ones with patterns on them are usually pricey so I can make my own and you are never to old to look cute. :) Make ones with dots or more geometric pattern for work. It will look trendy and not to cute. I made a pair in college with using my design markers for a party and everyone asked me where I bought them.

Nemo Ahmed February 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM

حرصًا منا على راحة عملائنا الكرام بالرياض نقوم بتقديم كافة الخدمات في محافظة الرياض ليحصل عملائنا الكرام بالرياض على خدمات متكاملة دون الحاجة إلي أن يلجأ إلي طلب خدمة من شركة وطلب خدمة آخري من شركة مختلفة تمامًا، لذلك تقدم شركتنا جميع الخدمات التي يحتاجها عملائنا الكرام في الرياض.
حيث نتشرف بالقيام بجميع الخدمات التي يستحقها عملائنا الكرام في الرياض في
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
، شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض، شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض ، شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض، شركة نظافة بالرياض، شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض، شركة تنظيف بالرياض، شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض، شركة تنظيف واجهات حجربالرياض، شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض، شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض، شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض، شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض، شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض، شركة تنظيف قصور بالرياض، شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض، شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض، شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض، شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض، شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالرياض، شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض،
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
، شركة تسليك مجاري بالرياض، شركة عزل أسطح بالرياض، شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض، شركة غسيل خزانات بالرياض، شركة عزل مائي بالرياض
شركة جلي بلاط رخام بالرياض