DIY: Patterned Heart Tights

Okay, I'll admit, I'm a little smug about this project. I love how it turned out! Plus it's inexpensive and cheap, my favorite kind of project. Read more to see how to make your own patterned tights.

Supplies: tights, acrylic paint, fabric medium, sponge paintbrush, heart punch, adhesive vinyl or contact paper.
Step 1: Punch out a LOT of hearts (or any other shape) from a piece of adhesive vinyl or contact paper. I punched out a little more than 50 hearts from a couple of vinyl scraps.
Step 2: Cut around each heart 'negative' (aka not the actual punched heart, but the hole it leaves behind). Be sure to leave a lot of space around each punch. This makes it tons easier to stay in the lines when painting.
Step 3: Place your cut outs on your tights in whatever pattern you'd like. I think my alternating pattern turned out pretty well.
Step 4: At some point, insert paper strips into your tights to keep the paint from bleeding through to the other side.
Step 5: Apply your paint + fabric medium mixture (follow the directions on the fabric medium bottle) in a dabbing motion. I did about three coats. This step doesn't take much time at all!
Step 6: Wait for the front of your tights to dry, flip over and repeat all the steps for the back of your tights.
Voila! So easy and cute. I have to be honest though, I'm a little hesitant to wear these to work. I'm the youngest employee in my department and I frequently get called, "cute" and told, "you look like a doll." Ugh. Maybe no heart tights at work?
FYI - these tights are from the $5 tight section at Target. Surprisingly good quality!

Also, I know you're wondering if the hearts stretch too much when you put the tights on. Actually, there is only one heart on my upper thigh that looks like a pancake. All the others are intact, ha!

esther October 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

These are so cute! I've been wanting to stencil my tights – I have a couple pairs of really bright-colored ones that could use some sprucing up. Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

And quick Q : at what step did you use the fabric medium?

Erica October 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

These are adorable! Gosh, the possibilities. So many shapes to choose from!

Katie (Lemon Jitters) October 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Great question, Esther! I just added the fabric medium to step 5. I mixed it with my paint before applying to the tights.

nancy @ adore to adorn October 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

These are so precious. I love how easy they are to make! =)
xo,
nancy

dusanabotswana October 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM

oh my goodness you did an AMAZING job on these! they are so adorable and just perfect! I'd totally commission you to turn all my tights into these if i wouldn't get funny looks at work w/ only heart tights haha. I'm lovin that casual cute outfit & those slipons too!

dusanabotswana October 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

and i LOVE that you picked a place w/ a bunch of fallen leaves, great photography!

Rachel October 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

You deserve to feel smug about how these turned out, because they're really adorable! I can't wait to make a pair :-)

Thanks so much for sharing the DIY!

shellyrhds October 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Believe me, at 38 you will miss those comments! Take them now, and wear what you like.. they only mean well, and heck, isn't it a good thing to be cute and look like a doll? I think so! As long as you're intelligent, competent, and a good employee, I don't think adorable tights will be a problem! You dislike those comments now, but believe me, you will wish you had lived it up a little better while you were younger! Great tutorial and I plan on dolling up some tights for myself, perhaps not with hearts though, because even if I still have a baby face, I just don't think I could pull that off without people whispering about my sanity behind my back, hahaha :)

daria October 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

these look so cute! need I say that I have a cat shaped puncher that I could use? :)

Anonymous,  October 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

These are super cute. Forever in love with pretty tights so these are perfect! Definitely trying this!

Rhiannon October 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Such a cute idea! Will be definitely giving these a try x

Siubhan Mc Carthy November 2, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Wow ! Just popped by from the Love & Laundry party & I have to say those tights are AMAZING !! (your photos are great too btw)Im offf to make a starry pair of these for my daughters Christmas stocking !! S x

Erica November 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Just a quick question. Do the painted hearts hold up well in the wash?

momphotographer November 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

this is so cool! what a fun project and I love the pattern!

Katie (Lemon Jitters) November 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Erica, I've washed these now and they held up fine! The fabric medium helps with that.

Erica November 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hey, thanks for letting me know how they held up Katie! :)

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs November 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

These are SO cute!! Ive totally been into pattern tights, so what a FUN and brilliant idea to make my own! Thanks so much for sharing!!

~Maria-Isabel
www.agapelovedesigns.com

hilde February 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

absolutely love this! have to try it!

Ren Getsu February 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Wow! That looks fun! I never knew you could do that! Cool! How long does it last?

Amber Aeros February 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Oh gosh this is BRILLIANT. I'm totally going to try this out. Thanks for the great tips~~

kass,  February 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM

So cute! Love this! I would press glitter on top of the wet paint so they are glittery. I love glitter. And I love this project. Tooootally doing it. Thanks!

Vanessa October 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM

These are adorable! The tights look so cozy! :)

Molly McPickery December 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Great idea the weather is getting colder and I want new tights but the ones with patterns on them are usually pricey so I can make my own and you are never to old to look cute. :) Make ones with dots or more geometric pattern for work. It will look trendy and not to cute. I made a pair in college with using my design markers for a party and everyone asked me where I bought them.