DIY: Medallion Necklace

A few weekends ago, I made a fun medallion necklace out of basic supplies. I bet you already have most of the supplies you need!
Click 'Read more' to see exactly what you need and how easy this is!
Supplies: Wooden medallions (I got mine from the wood section at Michael's- around $2 for a pack of two), acrylic paint, hot glue, paperclip and chain (or ribbon)
Step 1: Paint both sides of your medallion with your main color choice, alternately letting each side dry (I find that 20-30 min is usually enough drying time for little projects like this).
Step 2: Using a small paintbrush, paint some of the medallion's details with a complementary color.
Step 3: Hot glue a paperclip to the back of your medallion, leave a little bit of the clip sticking up.
Steps 4&5: I added a jump-ring to my paperclip so the medallion would hang flat on the chain. This is optional but does make a big difference. If you don't have some type of little ring lying around, you can make one out of another paperclip!
String your medallion on a chain or ribbon and you are done! Easy, huh? I really like the look of gold and cream together...

Shatzi LoveandLaundry August 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM

That turned out beautiful! I love it!!

jewelsforall August 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That is really pretty, and such a simple idea! I will definitely be trying this!

Brooke @ Design Stash August 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

SO pretty and looks super easy! I love your skirt too.....did you make that?

Katie (Lemon Jitters) August 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM

@Brooke, thank you! I think you are overestimating my crafting abilities, haha! I didn't make that skirt- thrifted for $1!

crapatcrafts August 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The paperclip idea is inspired. I have so many pendant ideas and am often stumped by the whole stringing issue. This is simple and clever, thanks.

LimeRiot August 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM

So cute and so easy!! My favorite types of ideas :).

Stephanie @ henry happened August 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

super simple! I love it and yes, I do already have most of the supplies!

Jen August 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Very cool idea! This is perfect for any age...hello...what a great project for a girly party :~) Love that it uses everyday items!

Kristy LifenReflection August 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM

That is so charming! I actually have one those wood medallions in my crafting stash. I thought it was pretty, but never figured out what to do with it. LOL
Thanks for the inspiration

Katie (Lemon Jitters) August 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

@crapatcrafts Thank you! It actually took awhile to think of the paperclip, ha!

@LimeRiot, @Stephanie, @Jen, @Kristy - thank you!

@Kristy - now ya know, haha!