Craft Fail

I'm going to bare my crafting soul today and you have to promise not to laugh. Okay, okay, you're allowed to laugh (AND I will even give you permission to pin this). This is my latest craft fail. Several months ago, I wrote a post detailing some of my DIY fails from that summer. It was a bit humbling to write because you rarely see anyone showing the not-so-pretty side of crafting (for good reason, who wants ugly crafts?). Crazy enough, that post got a lot of hits and people really seemed to identify with it.
We can all identify with making mistakes, right? It's part of the fabric of life and it's a necessity in crafting. I wanted so badly for this teacup to work. Have you seen these paper mache teacups by Ann Wood? I envisioned my cups looking like that. HA! I used her pattern and turned it into a file that my Cricut would cut. But I didn't want paper mache cups. I just wanted card stock cups. Well, it didn't work. The thing is totally lopsided and will not stay together properly. Sigh.
So I wanted all of you to know that no crafter whips up perfect crafts the first time every time. I hope this encourages you to give it another go after you turn out a less-than-perfect project. As a long time crafter, I cannot recount the amount of projects I've attempted that did not work out (or at least, not the first time). That is totally okay! Keep going! And don't be afraid to show the world your bumps along the way. Because we're all bumping along with you, we just aren't brave enough to photograph it.

allenaim photography and design April 19, 2012 at 6:39 AM

HI sweetie - your images aren't showing up for me?

cathie April 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Unfortunately, for me either.

Katie (Lemon Jitters) April 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM

So weird! I'm checking it on my work computer and they show up fine. (And we have the oldest Internet browser ever). Hmmm...

eltocadordecenicienta April 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Looks like the images would come from gmail????Maybe checking the "href" or the scr...
It´s a pity, I wanted to see what do you call "fail" when all you do is so great.
XOXO Olga♥
El tocador de Cenicienta

eltocadordecenicienta April 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Sure, Katie, and I promised not to laugh, well (maybe not to loud is okay,ji,ji,ji).It´s very nice from you to show yours "disasters", something that we all do but not use to share!.
PD: thanks for your lovely comment.
XOXO Olga♥
El tocador de Cenicienta

Christina Leigh April 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Oh man, that's an awesome idea! Maybe if the bottom wasnt a separate piece and it folded in from the bottom of the sides...kinda like a take-out box only a bit rounder? You could totally work with it, it has potential! :)

Flash April 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Thanks for posting these. It gives me hope!

Tally Heilke April 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I love that you've posted about a crafting fail - getting things wrong a few times is such a huge part of crafting, but we crafters never like to let on! :) I'm sure you'll get this project to work for you in the end.