I'm really happy with this DIY project! I think a set of fabric-covered makeup brushes (in a little travel bag!) would make a really cute gift. And you could personalize the color scheme.
Supplies: small piece of fabric or paper, mod podge (matte or gloss), scissors, paintbrush, makeup brush
I used a $1 ELF makeup brush that I got at Target. I generally use the ELF studio line of brushes and love them. But I bought this cheapie specifically for this project and to have as a backup brush. But you will need at least a semi-inexpensive brush because the first step is to remove the brush head. This cheap one practically removed itself before I got it out of the package. ;)
1. Remove the brush head.
2. Spread a layer of Mod Podge on the handle.
3. Begin rolling your handle in the fabric or paper and cut to size.
*Tip: You can cut to size first and then Mod Podge or vice versa. Either way is fine.*
4. Mod Podge the fabric down to seal it - do a thick layer on the entire handle!
5. Trim the ends of your fabric off.
6. Cover the exposed end with a little piece of fabric.
7. Seal that wacky-looking piece off with a coordinating strip of fabric. Mod Podge it all down.
8. Let dry, add a bit of Mod Podge to the tip and put the head and handle back together.
Better than new! It actually gives a stronger hold.
Voila! I would love to do a whole set with a coordinating travel case.
Or better yet, someone else do the whole set and send it to me! Hehe.