DIY: Hair Comb Steps

The last DIY hair comb was such a hit that I had tons of requests for a step-by-step tutorial. I hope this helps! You wrap your floss between the comb teeth. You start wrapping the way you do each time you switch a color, start in the back and pull through the front. Hold the floss to the back while you do your first pull-through. When you come back around and pull through again, you'll have secured the end of the floss. Check the photos for specifics and how to end the wrapping.
If you checked out the last hair comb diy (see comb below - upper right & lower left), then you may have noticed that I wrapped differently this time. I think I prefer this method but they are both super cute! You could do so many variations with this. With the first comb, I wrapped until I finished a piece of floss, so I could wrap between two or three teeth. With the second comb, I would wrap only one space and cut extra length off before moving to the next space.
If you make some, show me some pics! Oh, also - I had lots of questions about how to do my hairstyle from the last diy comb (the updo above). I wish I could help you ladies but it's just works because I have curly hair! I didn't even look in the mirror to do that - I twisted it up like a french twist and stuck the comb in. That's definitely a benefit to curly hair - it holds any accessory and any style (other than straight!).

alibrin9 December 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM

These are so great! It makes me want to bring back the hair comb! I'm totally gonna make my own!

keepingitindie December 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM

This is lovely - great idea!!!

nic√≥le December 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I'm going to make these tonight and give them as gifts! I'll tag you on my blog once I post a few!

xo
primthings.com
writespell.com

Katie (Lemon Jitters) December 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Thanks, Nicole! I'll keep an eye out.

Rebekah Hope December 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM

I have curly hair! SO having my sister make these for my for Christmas.

Stacie December 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM

This is incredible! I also have curly hair-- these will be so COOL! #morepowertothecurlyhairedgals ;)

dusanabotswana January 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

My hair def isn't that curly anymore but I know what you mean, I can actually tie mine up in itself but I get sick of that look & never thought of a hair comb. Seriously how did you ever come up w/ this? It's just perfect!

bella March 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ooh~ How neat is this?! Must try making one ASAP! ^.~*

Anonymous,  March 29, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Amazing what you can do with a plain ol' hair comb! Thanks for sharing it with us!

--Jenny

Jemila,  April 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I'm always looking for something beautifully unique and this is it! I have so many ideas about which colors to use and I just bought some plain combs three weeks ago. I probably won't take them out of my hair once I make my own creations. Wow, thanks for this awesome post!

Anonymous July 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Wow!!! This looks so neat and pretty! Thank you for sharing, I can't wait to start!
Emily J.

Anonymous,  August 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

You are just lovely!!
And that is a great idea
Thank you so much!!

Kim Tl September 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

This was such an amazing idea, i tried it too, and wrote a blog about it http://mokimikmak.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/diy-colorful-hair-comb-accessory/

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I love your blog:)

Anonymous,  November 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

This is brilliant! Thanx for sharing :) I just made two as a birthday present for my best friend :) I would never have come up with this on my own, thank you so much!

Anonymous,  January 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Great idea. Great inspiration! I just emailed you photos of my results from my phone--I hope they went through.

I used the Grip-Tuth comb. They are world-famous for staying in any type of hair, plus they make special "pins" for buns and twists. It's the only thing that REALLY stays in my hair. I love 'em, but thought they were boring (just plain plastic, clear or brown), but now you have the idea for adding a little color.

I want to try with iridescent embroidery threads next.

Anonymous,  January 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM

BTW: These are the hair pins that I love. Bobby pins never stayed in my curly hair!

It might be fun to do something more flamboyant with these like adding the eye of a peacock feather to the top? http://www.goodhairdays.com/magic-grip-tuth-hairpins.htm

Anonymous,  April 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

i made onw with yellow, green, purple and blue!!! i LOVE it thanks for the idia!!!

Anonymous,  April 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM

P.S. i made some with white thats turned out great i will use them in my hair for my wedding this month!!!